Berlin Noise

My big, long business trip to Berlin

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Foods You May Not Know About

I imagine this will be a recurring series of posts.

1) Bavarian style mustard. Basically, this is the mustard of my dreams. It's like a stone-ground mustard (with the mustard seed chunks and extra "bite" I love so much), but it's infused with sugar. So it tastes like a really sharp honey mustard. The brand I ate last night (and today on the sandwich I had for lunch, using some packets I stole from the restaurant) is Johann Conrad "Develey" Bayerisch' susser Hausmachersenf. And the date 1854 is printed on the packet. On the back, it's translated to Johann Conrad's Sweet Mustard. The great thing about finding a new mustard is that it's something you can use practically every day. I mean, I eat a sandwich every day at work, so I expect this mustard will have a huge impact on my life.

2) Schweppes Bitter Lemon. I and all the other guys I'm working with are pretty much addicted to this stuff. I was actually getting worried about my developing bitter lemon habbit, because I generally try to avoid excessive sugar in my beverages. But yesterady at the grocery store I found "Bitter Lemon Light." I think this is probably something you can find in The States pretty easily. Oh, and also, I've started calling the US "The States." I keep thinking maybe I'm supposed to hate myself for doing that, but I'm not totally sure? You tell me. Is saying things like, "I do a lot of karaoke back in The States" lame (for reasons aside from any lameness you incorrectly attribute to karaoke)?

3) Nutella. Just kidding. Everyone already knows about Nutella.

4) This weird fruit-infused jello with vanilla cream sauce. There's actually a series of little German desserts that come in what is basically a pudding cup. In this case, the pudding cup is divided down the middle, such that there is a small bin of cream sauce off to the side of the larger bin of jello. The jello is whatever. But the cream sauce...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home